During the first years of the 20th century, a large area of cattle grazing land was opened up alongside the Ultima Esperanza sound in the area.
Puerto Natales the town which was founded in 1911. In 1914 a huge refrigerator and slaughter house to process and export meat and wool was opened to serve this region at Puerto Bories, about three miles along the shore from Puerto Natales.
The owners were the Sociedad Explotadora de Tierra del Fuego, known as the ‘Explotadora’ or SETF and by then the biggest sheep ranchers in the south. The factory was three miles away from the source of workers at Puerto Natales and therefore a railway was built to run between the muelles at Puerto Bories and Puerto Natales.
With the opening of the factory in 1914 grew a demand to build houses for the managers and workers in Puerto Bories. The hamlet Puerto Bories has a main Plaza with cedar trees lining the edges and 14 traditional houses encircling the square. Views stretch to Balmaceda and Serrano glacier and the scenery is of mountains and pasture land.